Grilled Halloumi Cheese & Spinach Salad with Tapenade
Halloumi is that miracle cheese that doesn't melt when you heat it. This salad takes thick slices of that cheese, fries them up till golden brown, and serves them with a warmed tomato, lemon and olive sauce on top of spinach leaves. A great, warmed salad.
- Slice the cheese into 8 slices; set aside.
- Wash and dry the spinach leaves, arrange out on a plate; set aside.
- Mix together in a bowl all the other ingredients; set aside.
- Heat a few glogs of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and fry the cheese slices until golden brown on each side, about 3 minutes per side. They may splatter, so be prepared to lower the heat and go it at a bit more slowly if they do.
- Remove the fried cheese slices from the frying pan, leaving the pan on the heat, and arrange them over the spinach. Now, dump the dressing that you mixed above into the frying pan, and heat it for about 60 seconds (see why we left it on the heat for a second?) Spoon it out over the cheese slices and spinach, and serve immediately.
Dried tomatoes preserved in oil is also nice instead of the fresh tomato: try about 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped. You need fresh spinach as opposed to frozen or tinned as this is a salad. Take a couple large handfuls of spinach leaves, wash them, and remove any large stalks. Easily doubled and put out on a larger platter for a crowd.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!