John Wayne Casserole Recipe
This recipe was contributed by the American actor John Wayne in his last year, 1979, to a cookbook raising money for cancer. There has since emerged another casserole named "John Wayne", but this is the original recipe, without beef in it. (See encyclopedia page on John Wayne Casserole for the history.) Makes about 2 kg (4 lbs), serving 8 people.
- Start heating the oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Spray or butter a 2 litre / US quart oven-proof dish. Set aside.
- Drain and chop the chiles, grate the cheeses, toss to mix and distribute over bottom of casserole dish. Beat together the egg yolks, milk or cream, flour, salt and a few pinches of cayenne pepper. Whip egg whites until they form a soft peak, then fold the yolk mixture into them. Pour this egg mixture over the cheese mixture in the dish. Poke holes here and there to allow the egg mixture to soak down in.
- Pop in oven for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, remove from oven, arrange the tomato slices on top, and put back in oven to bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Makes @ 2kg (4 lbs.)
Per 250 g (½ lb), ⅛th of the casserole: 508 calories, 1123 mg sodium
Per 1 cup / 250 g, 14 Weight Watchers PointsPlus™
* Nutrition info provided by http://caloriecount.about.com
* Weight Watchers Points™ calculated by CooksInfo.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the Points® registered trademarks.