Mushroom and Zucchini Crumble
Even better made the day ahead to give the flavours a chance to marry, then actually baked on the day you need it.
- Wash mushrooms and chop coarsely. Set aside.
- Chop onion finely, set aside.
- Wash zucchini, chop finely, set aside.
- Make the crumble by mixing the oatmeal, breadcrumbs, cheese, thyme and butter with a few dashes of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan. Add the zucchinis, season with salt, pepper and the thyme. Cover the pan, lower the heat to simmer, and cook for about 20 minutes until the zucchini is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Start heating your oven to 220 C / 425 F / Gas Mark 7.
- Meanwhile, heat some oil in a second frying pan. Cook the onion until it is translucent, but don't let it brown. Add the mushrooms, and cook over medium heat until the mushrooms have released their water. Then add the flour and stir it in to thicken the mixture. Remove from the heat.
- Adjust taste of both zucchini mixture and mushroom mixture with salt, pepper and any added dried herb that strikes your fancy.
- Spread the zucchini mixture on the bottom of a casserole dish. Next, spread the mushroom mixture on top in a layer. Sprinkle crumble mixture on top of it all.
- You can make the recipe up to this point if you want, and then refrigerate overnight. If doing this, bring out of fridge about 1/2 hour before you bake it to let it come to room temperature.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until piping hot and crumble mixture is a light brown.
- Serve hot.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!