Cooking at: 170 C / Gas Mark 3 / 325 F
Parkin Cake Recipe
This cake is traditionally made a day or two ahead of Guy Fawke's Night, then served on the night at the bonfire gathering.
- Preheat oven. Grease a cake tin 11 x 7 inches (28 cm x 18 cm.)
- In a bowl, mix the flour, oats and ginger.
- Place the butter, treacle and honey in a medium-sized pot and heat over low heat until the butter melts. Stir a few times.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot or in the microwave, heat the milk to lukewarm.
- Add in the flour mixture; stir well. Add the baking soda to the milk, then the milk to the flour and treacle mixture.
- Pour in the mixture into the cake tine; bake for 1 1/2 hours until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let set for 15 minutes, then turn out on rack to finish cooling.
- Best made a least a day ahead before serving. Store in an airtight tin or container.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!