Cooking at: 350 F / 180 C / Gas Mark 4
Polpettone di Fagiolini Recipe
A classic Italian recipe.
- Dampen the fresh bread crumbs with just enough water to moisten them; set aside.
- Peel and slice the onion; set aside.
- Peel and mince the garlic; set aside.
- Wash, top and tail the green beans, and simmer them until just barely tender. Then drain, chop coarsely, set aside.
- Sauté the onion in a frying pan over low heat until transparent, then add to it the beans, the garlic, the oil and the marjoram, and let it sauté for a further 15 minutes or so, stirring somewhat frequently.
- Start heating your oven.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the grated parmesan, the dried mushrooms, the milk-soaked bread crumbs, the egg, and the salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Press into an oiled pie dish. Score the top with a knife to make a diamond-shaped pattern, and sprinkle the top with some dried bread crumbs, a bit of olive oil, and pop in the oven to bake for around 20 to 30 minutes or until piping hot and set.
- Serve hot or room temperature.
For the fresh bread crumbs, you'll want about 1 1/4 slices of fresh bread. The Italians use the kind of slender green beans we call "filet beans". This is a version that uses bread crumbs instead of potato. It is just as authentic.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!