Pumpkin and Mincemeat Pie
This is a luxurious combination of two of the best tastes from two favourite holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas. The smoothness of the pumpkin custard acts as the perfect foil to the richness of the mincemeat. And it's very easy to make -- just a frozen pie crust, a can of ready-to-use pumpkin pie filling, and mincemeat out of a jar. It's sometimes referred to as, "Mincemeat and Pumpkin Layer Pie." 1/8th the pie = 125 g
- Line a 20 cm (8 inch) pie pan with a pie crust.
- Start heating the oven to 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Spread the mincemeat evenly out over the bottom of the lined pie pan.
- Prepare the pumpkin filling based on directions on the can (note: egg and milk may be required) for 1 pie, but make up only half the batch as though you were making only half a pie.
- Spread the pumpkin filling out over the mincemeat evenly.
- Bake for an hour or until a knife comes out clean. Let cool before cutting into 1/8ths and serving.
- Nice with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
For the pie crust, you can use a purchased frozen pie crust, or if you prefer, make your own. For the pumpkin, find the directions on the can for making enough filling for one pie -- and then cut all those amounts in half. The reason is because we're going to be taking up half the pie pan's capacity with the mincemeat, so we just need half the pumpkin filling. You may of course choose to double the recipe and make 2 pies at once; if so, make up the pumpkin filling as though you were doing 1 whole pie.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!