Shoofly Pie Recipe
Despite all the molasses, this pie is rich, rather than overly sweet.
- Start oven heating to 190 C / 375 F / Gas Mark 5.
- Line the bottom of a pie pan with the crust.
- Mix together the brown sugar, butter and flour, rubbing it with your hands to make a loose crumble.
- Put the boiling water in a bowl, stir in the baking soda, then stir in the molasses and the beaten egg. Setting aside 1/2 cup (about 1/3) of the crumb mixture, stir the rest of the crumb mixture into the molasses mixture, then pour the molasses mixture into the pie shell.
- Sprinkle with the crumble that you set aside.
- Bake at 190 C (375 F) to start for 10 minutes; then lower the heat to 175 C (350 F). Bake for a further 35 to 45 minutes. It is done when a knife inserted into the centre comes out relatively clean, and the filling appears firm.
You only need a bottom crust, not a top crust. Use an 8 or 9 inch (20 or 23 cm) pie pan. The bottom of the filling may still be slightly moist when you take it out of the oven, but it will set. Optional: flavour the crumble with 1/8 teaspoon each of any or all of the following: ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground cloves.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!