Smokey Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- 1 cup Lentils green
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 can Tomatoes diced (15 oz / 500 ml)
- 5 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 Onion chopped, finely
- 1 pound Mushrooms chopped, finely
- 1 Green Pepper chopped, finely
- 2 stalks Celery chopped, finely
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Maggi optional
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Paprika smoked
- 1 tablespoon Parsley dried
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- Sloppy Joes on grilled portobello mushroom capwith melted Swiss on top© Denzil Green
- Prep all ingredients, put in slow cooker, and stir. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or high 3 to 4 hours. During final half hour of cooking, check to see if there's enough liquid still; if not, add a bit more stock or water.
- Adjust flavour and serve hot. (Optional: a few splashes of your favourite hot sauce to kick up the heat.) If it tastes flat to you, try a few more splashes of cider vinegar. Acid wakes up the taste of lentils.
- Our serving suggestions include serving on a bun with lettuce, thinly sliced tomato, grated cheese, etc.
- Or for a more adult take, take some portobello mushroom caps, spray with cooking spray, bake or grill for about 15 to 20 minutes, and serve the sloppy joes on them. Optional: some grated Swiss cheese on top of that and pop under broiler for 2 minutes or so (or in micro for 1 minute) until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Sloppy Joes on grilled portobello mushroom cap
© Denzil Green
1 Weight Watchers PointsPlus® per 1/3 cup (80 ml) serving.
There are 21 points in the 8 cups / 2 litres that this recipe makes. That equals 3 points a cup; 1 point per 1/3 cup (80 ml). (It’s hard to get more than that on a bun and get it to stay.)
When 1/3 cup (80 ml) is served on a grilled portobello mushroom with no cheese, that’s 1 point in total per serving. A variation we did was with melted cheese on top of that, using low-fat cheese that raised the points to just 2 points a serving for the mushroom, sloppy cheese and cheese topping.
When 1/3 cup (80 ml) is served on a Weight Watcher 3 point hamburger thin bun, that’s 4 points per serving.
Optional: add a pound (450 g) of 95% lean ground beef to the recipe for additional meaty texture. Brown it first with some cooking spray in the frying pan before adding to crock pot. It raises the points per 1/3 cup (80 ml) from 1 to 2. OR use the lean ground and omit the lentils, to return the points back down to 1 point per 1/3 cup (80 ml).
We used a salt substitute.
* Weight Watchers Points™ calculated by CooksInfo.com. Not endorsed by Weight Watchers® International, Inc, which is the owner of the Points® registered trademarks.