Steamed Apple Pudding Cake Recipe
If you haven't made a steamed pudding before, follow the See Also below this recipe for simple guidelines.
- Set the butter out to soften before beginning.
- Butter the pudding dish. Set aside.
- Get the pan that you are going to steam the pudding in, put the water in, cover and start it boiling.
- Peel, core and chop the apple. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the nuts, nutmeg and raisins, then fold in the apples, then the breadcrumbs.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and the brandy, then add this to the apple mixture and stir in.
- Transfer to the pudding dish.
- Cover with waxed paper, then with tin foil (or just tin foil is also fine.) Crimp the edges of the foil to make this cover snug, or tie it with a string.
- Place in your waiting pot to steam. Once the water has reached a boil, lower it to a simmer. Steam for 3 hours. Don't forget to check from time to time that there is enough water in the pot.
- When done, a knife inserted will come out clean and the pudding will feel like a very moist cake.
- Remove from the steaming pot. Let stand 10 minutes on a wire rack or heatproof surface before attempting to turn it out. Then run a knife inside along the edges, and turn out onto a plate to serve.
- Serve hot with custard or thick cream, or even a hard sauce if you wish.
Lovely served with warm custard. Use a 1 quart (1 litre) pudding dish. Granny Smiths will work nicely in this recipe. But feel free to use any (cooking) apple you wish. 1 1/3 cup of raisins is about 1/2 pound (225g). Feel free to use flaked or slivered almonds, or another type of nut altogether, or omit if you are cooking for someone with nut allergies. ALTERNATIVE COOKING METHOD -- MICROWAVE: Cover pudding dish with waxed paper instead of tin foil. Cook on high for 6 minutes. When the 6 minutes are up, let it rest for a minute or 2, then give it another 6 minutes. Check with a knife, and if it needs another few minutes of zapping in your microwave, do so. Let stand for 10 minutes then turn it out as per standard directions.