Sticky Maple Toffee Pudding (light)
A lower-fat but still yummy version of an English classic dessert.
Cooking Temperature 175 C /350 F / Gas Mark 4
- Start heating your oven to 175 C /350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Simmer the dates for 5 minutes in ¾ cup water (175 ml / 6 oz.)
- Put dates and water into a food processor or blender (there won't be much water left.) Add 6 tablespoons of the maple syrup and the vanilla.
- Transfer to a bowl. Mix in the egg yolks, and then the flour. Whisk or beat the egg whites stiff in another bowl, then fold into the date mixture.
- Put 4 tablespoons of maple syrup in the bottom of a pudding dish. Pour the date mixture on top. Cover with tin foil. Put into a deep ovenproof dish and fill with water until, ideally, the water comes half-way up the pudding dish.
- Bake for an hour. When cooked, a skewer or knife will come out of the centre clean.
- Uncover, and run a knife around the edge to help it come out easily. Tip onto a plate, serve hot!
- Provide yoghurt and maple syrup for people to drizzle over their portions, if you wish.
If you want to use self-raising flour instead, omit the baking powder and salt and use the self-raising flour instead. For a topping, try low-fat Greek yoghurt and extra maple syrup. Or omit entirely and don't have a topping.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!