Salsa Cruda (Fresh Tomato Sauce)
This is a fresh tomato sauce (as opposed to cooked.) Serve as you would a relish, particularly with Mexican food.
- 4 Tomatoes medium
- ½ cup Onion chopped finely
- ½ cup Celery chopped finely
- ¼ cup Green Pepper chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 tablespoons Green Chile Pepper chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seed
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds crushed
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Ground Pepper
- Chop all the veg. Combine with the oil and seasonings.
- Cover, refrigerate overnight or at least a few hours.
This is very straightforward to make, and the end result is really nice, but as with all vegetable sauces, allow time for all the chopping. The upside is that you can make this sauce the day before. In fact, it's better if allowed to refrigerate overnight. Depending on how you plan to use the sauce, you may wish to drain off some of the juice. Do not try to home can this recipe. It has insufficient acidity to make it safe for canning. You can freeze it, though.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!