The 17th of August is Vanilla Custard Day.
On this day, you get to have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Vanilla is still one of the world’s most favourite flavours, and custard one of the most popular dessert items.
Rich, creamy, fragrant and sweet, vanilla custard is often used as a base for other desserts, but it is just as delicious on its own.
It always seems light, no matter how many calories are actually in it.
You can enjoy custard as a thin pouring sauce to pour over another dessert, or as a thicker dish to eat by spoon all on its own.
Make some today, either from scratch or from a mix. There are many, many people who say that the best vanilla custard comes from Bird’s custard powder.
While unflavoured custard can be used in savoury dishes such as quiches, typically vanilla custard is always sweetened.
Activities for today
- Garnish a dish of vanilla custard with fruit or whipped cream or ice cream or chopped fresh lavender;
- try vanilla custard slightly warmed on the side of a slice of pie;
- have some inside a doughnut, or in some Boston Cream Pie;
- have some custard squares;
- have some frozen vanilla custard;
- have some Portuguese Custard Tarts;
- take bakery treats with vanilla custard filling in them to work to share.
Breakfast buffet: National vanilla custard day. CNN Eatocracy. 17 August 2011. Accessed April 2018 at https://cnneatocracy.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/breakfast-buffet-national-vanilla-custard-day/
Celebrate National Vanilla Custard Day: Culver’s Shares the Scoop on Vanilla and Fresh Frozen Custard. Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin: Culver’s. PR News Wire. 16 August 2019. Accessed June 2021 at https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/celebrate-national-vanilla-custard-day-300903191.html
Howell, Michael. Celebrating National Vanilla Custard Day. CBS News Iowa. 18 August 2017. Accessed July 2021 at
It’s Vanilla Custard Day. Cape Town, South Africa. 10 August 2018. Accessed July 2021 at https://www.dailysun.co.za/Success/SunFood/its-vanilla-custard-day-20180809