Cooking at: 400 F / 200 C / Gas Mark 6
Hermit Cookies Recipe
Classic North American drop cookies.
- Sift or mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon; set aside.
- With an electric hand-mixer, cream the butter, then cream the sugar in, then add the eggs and mix thoroughly, then the coffee.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture a bit at a time, mixing well after each addition. Then fold in the raisins and the nuts.
- Set in fridge to chill for an hour or two, if possible.
- Heat your oven.
- To make the drop version: drop teaspoonfuls on your cookie sheet about 2 inches (5 cm) apart from each other.
- To make the "bar" version, use your hands to form on the cookie sheet two long strips, about 1 inch (2 1/2 cm) wide and about 3/4 inch (2 cm) high. Only do two strips at a time on one cookie sheet, as they will spread out, and place them in such as a manner as to give them room to do just that.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes. They're done when pressing your finger lightly in them leaves no imprint.
- If you've baked the dough in strips, cut into bars when they are cool.
Instead of butter you can use margarine or shortening. You can use any nut you please instead of walnuts. Use a lightly-greased cookie sheet. Optional: if you've made bars, you may wish to ice them with maple icing.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!