Cooking at: 400 F / 200 C / Gas Mark 6
Scalloped Parsnips and Jerusalem Artichokes Recipe
A good, tasty winter veg recipe.
- Set a pot of water on to boil.
- Butter a large oven-proof dish; choose one with more surface area rather than a deep one.
- Peel and chop the garlic; set aside.
- Peel and slice the parsnips; set aside.
- Wash the Jerusalem artichokes. Add them unpeeled to the boiling water, lower to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes until just tender. Remove them from the water with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
- Add the parsnips to the pot of water, and let them cook for about 10 minutes or until just tender. Drain.
- When the Jerusalem artichokes are cool enough to touch, peel and slice them.
- Arrange the parsnip and Jerusalem artichoke slices in the buttered casserole dish.
- Start the oven heating.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan; add the garlic and thyme, and sauté a bit until the garlic starts to become a bit clear. Then add the mustard and wine, season with a bit of salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Pour evenly over the parsnips and Jerusalem artichokes. Cover the dish with tin foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and remove the foil. Pour the cream evenly over top. Return to the oven uncovered for a final 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Use a mild mustard, such as Dijon or whole-grain.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!