The 14th of October is Dessert Day.
It is a red-letter day for all the sweet-toothed people amongst us.
If you don’t typically order dessert at a restaurant because of expense or calories, today could be the day to consider giving yourself permission to indulge at least a bit.
Some people prefer to have their “dessert” in the afternoon as a mid-day treat, rather than after the evening meal. What about you?
If you could only have three things for dessert for the rest of your life, what would they be?
What is your favourite fast-food restaurant dessert?
Remember, desserts can be “healthy” too — fresh, whole fruits make a delicious, easy dessert! And as far as many registered dieticians are concerned, based on the latest research, most people can eat fresh whole fruit to their heart’s content! (See: Free versus bound sugars).
Special dessert offers today can range from a free scoop of ice cream to a free doughnut or cookie to a two-for-one dessert.
Activities for today
- Check restaurant websites for coupons and apps for deals;
- look for deals when you subscribe to mail lists or install apps;
- make a dessert you have never made before;
- order a dessert you have never tried before in a restaurant;
- maybe have a Halloween-themed dessert, as Hallowe’en is so close;
- buy something from your local artisanal bakery;
- if you teach young children, try as a craft a dessert-making activity;
- make something at home with your children;
- organize a fund-raising bake sale for today;
- if you have seniors in your life, ask what their favourite old-time dessert is that they haven’t had in a long time, and make it or procure it for them somehow.
- Almond & Chocolate Chip Loaf
- Butter Brickle and Chocolate Nut Pieces
- Chancellor’s Pudding
- Frozen Lime Pie
- Guinness Cake
The earliest print mention CooksInfo has been able to find of a Dessert Day on the 14th of October occurred in North Carolina in January 1992.
“National Dessert Day (Oct. 14)” — Foods take a holiday through the year. Burlington, North Carolina: Burlington Times News. 15 January 1992. Page C5, col. 3.
Morris, Chris. Today Is National Dessert Day. Here’s Where to Get Free Sweets. Fortune Magazine. 14 October 2018. Accessed September 2021 at http://fortune.com/2018/10/14/national-dessert-day-2018-free/
Sweet Tooth Sunday! Today is National Dessert Day. Houston, Texas: ABC13. 14 October 2018. Accessed September 2021 at https://abc13.com/food/how-are-you-celebrating-national-dessert-day/4482483/
Tyko, Kelly. Sweet Sundae Sunday! Get free treats and deals for National Dessert Day and beyond. USA Today. 14 October 2018. Accessed September 2021 at https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/food/2018/10/14/national-dessert-day-2018-where-get-freebies-and-deals-sunday/1610959002/