Cooking at: 350 F / 180 C / Gas Mark 4
Queen Elizabeth Cake Recipe
Dead easy! Some people say to make this cake a day or two in advance before serving.
- Grease an 8 x 8 inch (20 x 20 cm) cake tin.
- Pour boiling water over dates. Stir in baking soda, set aside.
- Beat in a large bowl: shortening, the white sugar, egg and vanilla until fluffy and light. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- To the shortening mixture, alternately add the dates and the flour, mixing each in well. When those are all in, fold in the nuts.
- Transfer to cake tin. Bake until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean, and cake is brown (about 30 minutes.) Let cake cool for half an hour.
- Meanwhile, mix the butter, brown sugar, coconut and cream together.
- When the cake has cooled for half an hour, spread the topping on it, then put under grill or broiler (about 4 to 6 inches / 10 to 15 cm from the heat) for a few minutes until browned lightly, then remove. If desired, sprinkle with a bit more coconut and chopped nuts. Let cool.
- Freezes well.
For the nuts, try walnuts or pecans.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!