Cooking at: 325 F / 170 C / Gas Mark 3
Toffeed Pear Cake Recipe
Even those who are sometimes leery of pears owing to their texture will love this cake.
- Grease a 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23 cm) cake tin. Set aside.
- Get a large bowl of water, put a few drops of lemon juice in it (you are going to use this to stop your pears from browning on you.)
- Peel, core and chop the pears into chunks. Drop the chunks as you go along into the water.
- In a frying pan, melt the butter, cinnamon and sugar over medium heat. While this is happening, drain the pears in a colander, then place on paper towel (we're going to get some water off them so they don't splatter at you in the next step.)
- Fry the pear chunks in the melted butter and sugar until the chunks are tender -- don't cook until the sugar sauce darkens. Remove from heat, set aside.
- Start heating your oven.
- In a bowl, beat butter and white sugar until light and creamy. In another bowl, sift the flour and the baking powder, and in another bowl, beat the eggs.
- Now it all comes together. Add the flour and the egg alternately to the butter, starting with the egg. When you are done, use a spatula to spoon in the pears and all of the sauce from the frying pan.
- Transfer to the cake tin, and bake until golden and a toothpick comes out clean (about 50 minutes.)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!