Blue Cheese and Broccoli Quiche Recipe
With its robust flavours, a slice of this quiche easily stands up as the main item on a plate of food. You can serve this quiche hot in the winter, or room temperature in the summer.
Cooking Temperature 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4
- 1 Pie Crust
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 8 oz Milk
- 2 tablespoons Grainy Mustard
- ½ pound Broccoli
- 3 Tomatoes medium
- ¼ pound Blue Cheese
- 3 Eggs
- Have a pie pan lined with the pie crust and ready to go.
- Wash and chop up the broccoli into small pieces; zap for 5 minutes in microwave with a bit of water to lightly cook it, then drain. Set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes up into eighths, set aside.
- Start oven heating to 180 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Make a white sauce by melting the butter in a pan, mixing in the flour, cooking it for a minute, then whisking in the milk. Simmer until thickened, whisking frequently until thick. Remove from heat; stir in mustard.
- In the lined pie shell, scatter the broccoli and tomatoes, [optional: also a handful or two of another cheese such as Swiss or cheddar, grated] then crumble the blue cheese around and over it. Break the eggs into the white sauce, whisk them in, then pour the sauce over the broccoli, cheese and tomatoes.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
This probably won't need any pepper, and will taste salty enough from the cheese. Instead of the 3 medium tomatoes, you can use about ½ pound (200 g) of cherry or grape tomatoes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!