Crispy Tofu and Black Sesame Seed Shirataki Noodle Salad
Serve this noodle salad chilled or at room temperature as a side salad, or in more generous portions as a main noodle dish, with a slice or two of avocado and a few shrimp perhaps on the side for a meal. The dressing is creamy and nutty-tasting with a light tang of soy sauce and lemon juice.
- 2 packages Tofu Shirataki Noodles 450 g / 16 oz
- 2 cups Water
- 5 tablespoons Soy Sauce low-sodium
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- dash Liquid Smoke
- 1 package Tofu low-fat (firm or extra-firm, 350g / 12 oz)
- 2 tablespoons Tahini
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon Black Sesame Seeds
- 2 tablespoons Greek Yoghurt
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 piece Ginger fresh (about 3 cm / 1 inch long, peeled and minced)
- 1 bunch Asparagus
- 1/2 Carrot large, grated
- 2 Green Onion chopped
- 1/4 cup Coriander fresh, chopped
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes 150g / 5 oz. Cut in half
- Open the shiritaki noodles, drain, rinse. Let sit in strainer. Measure 500 ml (2 cups / 1 pint) of water into a pot, along with 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce. Bring to a boil. When it has come to a boil, add the noodles, let boil for 2 minutes uncovered, then remove from heat and let sit uncovered in the water. When we use the noodles later, this soaking water is just discarded.
- In a bowl, make a marinade by mixing together 3 tablespoons of the soy sauce with 1 tablespoon of sugar (white or brown) and a few dashes of liquid smoke. Cut the tofu into 2 cm (1 inch) squares that are about 5 mm (1/4 inch) thick, add to the marinade, stir gently. Let this sit anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 or 2 hours, but stir periodically. (We just used our clean fingers to gently toss them in the marinade from time to time.)
- Make the salad dressing by mixing together the tahini, lemon juice, rice vinegar, sesame oil, black sesame seeds, Greek yoghurt, garlic, ginger and the final 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Set aside.
- Cut or break the woody ends off the asparagus, wash, then blanche or steam the asparagus till it is just al dente. Plunge into cold water to stop the cooking. When it is cold (about 5 minutes), chop into pieces about 3 cm (1 inch) long. Add to a large bowl.
- Spray a frying pan with cooking spray. Cook the tofu pieces till they start to brown on both sides. Add to your large bowl.
- To the asparagus and fried tofu now add: the drained noodles, the grated carrot, the chopped green onion, the chopped fresh coriander. Pour the dressing on top and gently fold all together with your hands.
- Serve chilled or room-temperature with tongs for easy serving.
Instead of asparagus, you could use a few handfuls of green beans (washed, topped and tailed, blanched till al dente, and cut into pieces.) 1/2 large carrot, grated, is about 1/2 cup loosely packed / 50g. If you can't get black sesame seeds, use regular ones, toasted, or just omit. Instead of tahini, you can try peanut butter. To make a day ahead, blanche the asparagus, fry the tofu, chop the onion and grate the carrot the day before; store in a fridge in a sealed bag or container then assemble the rest of the recipe the next day.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!