Shaker Applesauce Cake with Rosewater Frosting Recipe
Dead easy, but watch it fly off the plate. The shakers used rosewater, but you could substitute vanilla extract.
- 2 ½ cups Flour
- 1 ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Cloves ground
- ½ teaspoon Allspice ground
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Ginger ground
- 1 ¾ cup Apple Sauce
- ½ cup Butter
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Raisins
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4 cups Icing Sugar
- ¼ cup Cream
- 1 tablespoon Rose Water
- Start your oven heating to 175 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and flour your two cake tins. Set aside.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, salt, soda, spices, baking powder. Beat in butter and applesauce, then the eggs. Stir in the raisins.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake pans; bake for about 35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before turning out on a rack.
- While the cake is baking, make the frosting by beating together the icing sugar, cream and the rosewater.
- To assemble, place one cake on a plate, then cover its top with frosting. Place the other cake on top of that. Then mix the remaining frosting with a tablespoon or so of cream to thin it, and drizzle it on the top and down the sides.
Use two 9 inch (23 cm) round cake tins. Instead of butter you can use shortening or margarine or oil.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!