Sweet Potato and Cranberry Nutbread Recipe
Good to have on hand for guests. Keep it wrapped in tin foil or plastic wrap.
- Bake or boil the sweet potato. Peel and mash (don't add anything like milk or butter.)
- Start heating your oven to 175 C / 350 F / Gas Mark 4.
- Make 1 teaspoon of zest from the orange; set the zest aside. Juice the orange, set the juice aside.
- Chop the cranberries coarsely; set aside.
- If you didn't buy the walnuts already chopped, chop them now and set aside.
- Grease and flour or line with waxed paper a loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together with a fork the baking soda and powder, cinnamon, flour and salt. Set aside.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl the following items: the brown sugar, butter, eggs, orange peel and juice, and sweet potato.
- Stir in the flour mixture, then the cranberries and walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Bake in oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
For a loaf pan, aim for one that is 9" x 5" x 3" (23 x 13 x 7cm or with a capacity of 8 cups / 2 litres)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!