Root Veg & Mushroom Savoury Pudding
A good hearty, economical winter veg dish. Delicious served with some kind of gravy, especially mushroom gravy.
- Start the oven heating to 200 C / 400 F / Gas Mark 6.
- Cut the parsnips into lengthwise wedges, removing the tough centre cores if there are any. Peel and slice the rest of the root veg. Place all the root veg in a large roasting tin, toss in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil to coat them all, season with salt and pepper, and roast for 20 minutes.
- While this is happening, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a frying pan, and cook in it the herbs, mushrooms and garlic until the garlic is tender.
- Remove the veg from the oven, mix the mustard in to coat, and return to oven until the veg are tender and caramelized, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While this is happening, mix the eggs, flour and milk together to make a batter.
- Remove the veg from the oven when carmelized and tender, arrange in a casserole dish, sprinkle the mushroom mix over the veg, then pour the batter over it all.
- Cook for 20 minutes, then remove and place the cheese slices over top, then bake in oven for a further 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
If you want, you can use 1 turnip, 1 swede, 1 rutabaga, etc, whatever you have available. You could also try other root vegetables such as potatoes, Jerusalem artichokes, etc., to the appropriate quantity.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!