Vegetable Jambalaya Recipe
A really tasty rice dish.
- 25 grams Butter
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Onion large, chopped
- 6 Green Onions chopped
- 2 stalks Celery sliced
- 1 Green Pepper medium, chopped, seeds removed
- 1 Red Pepper medium, chopped, seeds removed
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin ground
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- 200 grams Long-Grain Rice
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tablespoon Thyme fresh, chopped
- 400 grams Canned Tomatoes chopped
- 400 millilitres Vegetable Stock
- 200 grams Corn frozen
- 4 tablespoons Parsley fresh, chopped
- Lime wedges
- Ground Pepper
- Use a very large frying pan. Heat the butter and the oil together in the pan. Toss in and stir-fry together for 5 minutes the following: garlic, onion, green onions, celery, green & red peppers.
- Add Tabasco, cumin and rice, stir for 2 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil, stir, then cover with a lid.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and let simmer until rice has absorbed stock and is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add more stock or water if needed.
- Stir in the corn, season with salt & pepper.
- When serving, garnish each serving with chopped parsley and the lime wedges.
If you are missing an item such as the celery, don't hang yourself, try substituting something else green & crunchy or omit altogether. If using frozen corn, cook first in microwave. You can also use tinned or fresh corn instead of frozen.