Spicy Barbeque Beans Recipe
Excellent to serve with barbeque.
- 1 pound Pinto Beans dried
- 6 cups Water
- 1 pound Bacon
- 2 Onions medium
- 1/2 Bell Pepper
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ground Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Celery Seed
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 can Tomatoes 16 oz / 475g / 475 ml
- 1/2 pound Sausages
- Wash dried beans, cover with enough water to well cover them, let stand overnight or for 8 hours. Drain, return to a large pot, add the 6 cups (48 oz / 1 1/2 litres) of water, put the pot over medium heat, bring the water to a boil and lower to a simmer, covered.
- Chop the bacon and sausage into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces; toss into a frying pan not yet on the heat.
- Peel and chop up the onion; add to frying pan.
- Wash and chop up the bell pepper; set aside; add to frying pan.
- Peel and mince the garlic; add to frying pan.
- Now put the frying pan on a burner, turn on the heat, and cook until vegetables are tender and the sausage and bacon are browned. Add to beans, with at least a tablespoonful or two of the fat.
- Now add all the remaining ingredients except the tomatoes as well to the beans.
- Let beans simmer covered for about 2 hours or until tender.
- Then stir in the can of tomatoes, juice and all.
- Let simmer uncovered for another 30 to 60 minutes until sauce has thickened somewhat.
Use whatever kind of sausage you prefer.