The 4th of June is Cheese Day.
Cheese is great on its own, and as an ingredient in or on or — heck, even under! — dishes.
What’s your favourite three cheeses?
If you had to pick cheese to eat from just one country for one year, which country would it be?
Here are some other cheese days to celebrate:
Activities for today
- identify and learn about which company makes your favourite cheeses — is it independent or part of a conglomerate?;
- try a cheese today you’ve never had before;
- go to a dedicated cheese shop;
- have cheese for breakfast, lunch and dinner;
- have a cheese dessert;
- look for promotional offers by cheese companies — coupons, cookbooks, etc.;
- try a cheese platter at a restaurant;
- host a wine and cheese party;
- host a super cheesy nachos and beer party.
- Bacon and Cheese Clafoutis
- Cauliflower Cheese with Bacon
- Cheese and Grape Tortillas
- Cheese Filled Chiles
- Cheese and Tomato Breadcrumb Pie
Up until at least 2011, many newspapers were promoting the 20th January as National Cheese Day. Other dates throughout the year are also easy to find in newspaper archives.
The first print mention we’re aware of for the 4th of June dates from 2006 in Kansas:
“National Cheese Day” (June 4) — Rombeck, Terry. Every Food Has Its Day. Lawrence, Kansas: Lawrence Journal World. Wednesday, 31 May 2006. Page D1-3.
The author attributed the source for this day to www.tfdutch.com, a website run by a Chad Vance, which was still extant as of 2021.
DeMontis, Rita. Cheese lovers unite! It’s National Cheese Day! Toronto, Canada: Toronto Sun. 4 June 2020. Accessed May 2021 at https://torontosun.com/life/food/0604-lifenational
Kool, Charlie. National Cheese Day, June 4th! Barrie, Ontario, Canada: 107.5 FM Radio. 4 June 2020. Accessed May 2021 at https://1075koolfm.com/national-cheese-day-june-4th/
Savour these UFCW-made cheeses on National Cheese Day – June 4. Toronto, Canada: United Food and Commercial Workers Union (Canada). 2 June 2020. Accessed May 2021 at http://www.ufcw.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32673:savour-these-ufcw-made-cheeses-on-national-cheese-day-june-4&catid=10171&Itemid=6&lang=en
Sheridan, Johan. Happy National Cheese Day! Albany, New York: ABC 10 News. 4 June 2020. Accessed May 2021 at https://www.news10.com/news/national/happy-national-cheese-day/
Tsang, Jaqueline. World Cheese Day: what you need to know about the dairy product. Hong Kong: South China Morning Post. 4 June 2018. Accessed May 2021 at https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/travel-food/article/2149087/world-cheese-day-what-you-need-know-about-dairy-product