What's happening when and where in the world of food.
Browse Food Calendar by month or search.
- Cinco de Mayo (Today)The 5th of May commemorates a Mexican victory over the French army in 1862 at the Battle of Puebla. Puebla is a state in Mexico.
- In the northern hemisphere, it's now warm enough to do roast a leg of lamb out on your backyard grill, especially if you have a spit. And in Australia, where it's autumn, today is a good excuse for an all-out roast dinner.Read more >>>
- The first American Mother's Day proclamation was in 1870 in Boston by a Julia Ward Howe. Her intent was that women's peace groups would use the day to call for disarmament and peace.Read more >>>
- On the 10th May 2004, Long John Silver's restaurant served free jumbo shrimp to customers. They were making good on their offer (made on 15 January 2004) to serve free shrimp if NASA found (which it did) conclusive evidence of oceans on Mars.Read more >>>
- It's hard to know why anyone would pick May for Apple Pie Day, when apples are not in season (in the Northern Hemisphere, at least) and even the longer-storage ones are fast approaching their best-before date -- though maybe the idea is to use up the ones that are on the edge of going manky and disguise them in a pie. Perhaps this time of year was chosen for those places in the Southern Hemisphere, such as Australia and New Zealand, where apple harvesting season is just getting into swing.Read more >>>
- St Honoré is the Patron Saint of bakers. He is also the Patron Saint of confectioners, pastry chefs, flour sellers, and candlemakers.Read more >>>
- The 17th of May is Constitution Day in Norway. It is a very big event in Norway, celebrated even in small villages.Read more >>>
Please share this information with your friends. They may love it.